Thursday, July 24, 2008

Top of the world

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- I've ripped up mutuel tickets at 77 tracks all over the globe and have yet to find a better place to watch a race than the roof of the press box at Saratoga. The main track is small enough (a mile circumference) that if your horse has colors that stand out, you don't even need binoculars.

The fifth race Thursday was satisfying to me from an artistic and financial perspective. I stood high above it all as I watched my suggested play of the day (see yesterday's blog if you think I'm making it up) go wire to wire and pay $6.10. Thank you, Mine All Mine, for making the afternoon feel like it was all me. Too bad I didn't bet more than $20 on the maiden filly trained by 2-year-old demon Wesley Ward. Even when you win, you can get aggravated.

No comments: