Friday, July 25, 2008

Saturday's Saratoga stakes, part I: The Diana

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Saratoga is offering a $500,000-guaranteed all-stakes Pick 4 Saturday, and I'll give you my semi-educated guesses while awaiting Friday's 2:45 p.m. "Sunset Racing" first post. I haven't decided whether I'll play the Pick 4 or just a few of the races, but here goes with the opener.

7th race, Grade I Diana Stakes, 1 1/8 miles (turf, fillies and mares 3 and up)

This is an extremely tricky race, and I landed on the rail horse, longshot Bit Of Whimsy, who has won a Grade I at the distance, has won over a course with give in it and is working well for Barclay Tagg. She's also a generous 12-1 on the morning line, which looks like excellent value.

Bit of Whimsy had better be on her 'A' game, though, because there are plenty of tough ladies in here, led by Vacare, Wait A While and Rutherienne. However, Wait A While dislikes turf that isn't firm; Vacare seems better suited for a mile and hasn't won at 9 furlongs in almost two years; and Rutherienne disliked a swampy course last time out at Colonial Downs. I'd be willing to throw that race out, though, and Rutherienne won a stakes last year at the Spa.

The play: Bet win and place on Bit Of Whimsy and key her in exacta boxes with Rutherienne, soft-ground lover Lady Digby and Dynaforce, who just missed last race against the very tough Mauralakana.

No comments: